This week's #FierceFridayFood recipe comes from the Fixate Cookbook which is full of amazing lunch, dinner, breakfast and snack ideas. The Fixate Sloppy Joes are a a fan favorite in the Voris house!
TURKEY SLOPPY JOES
Serves 4 (approx. 1 1/4 cups each)
Container Equivalents (per serving): 3 1/2 green, 1 red, 1 tsp
1 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb raw ground 93% lean turkey breast
1/4 tsp sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp all natural tomato paste
1 tbsp pure maple syrup (or raw honey)
Finely chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
3. Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Transfer onion mixture to a medium bowl. Set aside.
4. Add turkey to the same skillet; cook, over medium heat, stirring frequently to break up the turkey, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the turkey is no longer pink.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Add onion mixture, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and maple syrup. Mix well. Reduce heat to medium low; gently boil, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
7. Sprinkle each serving with parsley before serving.
Serve Turkey Sloppy Joes open faced on one slice of whole wheat bread (this is what I did), 1 cup zucchini noodles, 1 cup cooked whole wheat pasta or quinoa, or in 2 large romaine lettuce leaves.
Married to a college football coach, 3 daughters, Beachbody Master Trainer and Coach, Disney fanatic, aspire to inspire, serve others, and be a force of passion. Meet Julie!